- WIN The First World War at Sea in Photographs - ONLY IN NOVEMBER'S PRINT EDITION...
- NOVEMBER ISSUE - THE DESPARATE VOYAGE, RMS ATHENIC, UNMANNED SHIPS AND MUCH MORE!...
- SEA BREEZES DECEMBER ISSUE - ON SALE 19 NOVEMBER 2014. DON'T MISS IT!...
- SEA BREEZES BRANDED CLOTHING - *** SALE 50% OFF ***...
- BOOK OF THE MONTH “Operation Pedestal” - SEE SHOP FOR DETAILS...
After years of deliberation the British government has awarded a £201 million contract to build an airport on the remote British Oversea Territory of St Helena (population 4,000) in the mid South Atlantic.
Lying away from the trade route between Europe and South Africa, St Helena has, since 1977, operated its own shipping service with, successively, two passenger - cargo ships. The current St Helena, built at Aberdeen in 1990, can carry 128 passengers and 2,000 tonnes of general cargo. Although destined to ply a route between the UK-Ascension Is-St Helena and Cape Town it is the choice of the current governor of St Helena that the ship operates only in the South Atlantic, thus driving up the current annual shipping subsidy to over £4.5m a year.
If the Airport is completed and operational by 2015, the use of the St Helena may cease and traders on the Island will have to depend on the vagaries of the ship charter market, live with irregular arrivals and uncertain landed costs of their imported goods. All travellers to and from St Helena will be expected to use the airline that will have to be subsidised to provide scheduled flights regardless of load factors: it is not intended that residents, or tourists will be able to travel by sea. The RMS St Helena is one of the last remaining ships to carry the proud designation Royal Mail Ship.
More on this and other news in Sea Breezes Magazine - January 2012 Issue
Click on the links below to subscribe
| || |
|< Prev||Next >|
MYSTERY SHIP COMPETITION
Sea Breezes has teamed up with Amberley Publishing to offer the chance of winning a set of The First World War at Sea in Photographs books
Only in Sea Breezes November Issue
- Perth Harbour Put Up For Sale
- New Family of Bi-Fuel Engines
- Naval Update
- Alaska Marine Highway System
- Flying Focus Calendar 2015
- Illusion I Makes World Premiere at Monaco Yacht Show
- Unmanned Ships Sailing the Oceans Within 20 Years
- Work Set to Start on Nicaragua Grand Canal
- Carnival Legend Kicks Off Australian Cruise Season