Pommern

After forty years in New York as a museum ship, the 4-masted barque Peking has been shipped by the heavy-lift ship Combi Dock III to Wewelsfleth on the River Elbe ready to become a museum ship at Hamburg.

The 321ft Peking was built for the Flying-P Line, by Blohm & Voss in Hamburg in 1911.

In Finland, another Flying-P, the steel 4-masted barque Pommern, of the Aland Islands is having a new main deck at the Maritime Museum and there are plans to build a dry dock for the barque as a permanent berth. When she requires repairs, the dock can simply be pumped dry. However, this new dry dock will eliminate the danger of losing this aging vessel on a sea passage. Some sails were set on this barque when she was towed from Mariehamn to Stockholm in 1987 and in 1996.

J Reid & Co at Greenock built the Pommern in 1903 as the Mueme for Hamburg owners and, in 1906, she became part of the Flying P-Line. In 1923, she was sold to Gustaf Erikson of Mariehamn to become one of his sailing ships in the Australian grain trade until 1939.

On her last voyage, she sailed from Port Victoria on the same day as the Olivebank and the captains agreed to race home. The Pommern took 115 days to Falmouth while the Olivebank took 117 days. The Pommern then became a grain store at Stockholm. In 1952, the Eriksons gave her to Mariehamn and she has remained a very good example of a working barque in the deep-water trade.

More on this and other news in Sea Breezes Magazine - September 2017 Issue
Click here to subscribe