The VOC had its own large shipyard in Amsterdam and they built the 1,100 ton East Indiaman Amsterdam here in 1748.
In January 1749, the Amsterdam left the island of Texel with 333 people aboard bound for Batavia (Jakarta) in Java.
The weather was bad and two weeks later she lost her rudder in Pevensey Bay. Some of the crew broke into the wine store and got drunk and the captain had trouble controlling the ship with a crew that was also hit by illness.
The Amsterdam’s maiden voyage eventually ended when she ran ashore at Bulverhythe, just west of Hastings.
While most of the wreck broke up, the lower part sank into the foreshore. In about 1912, the sand moved and exposed the hull, but it was not until 1969 that a proper survey was made.
A replica of the Amsterdam, built in 1990, is moored in Amsterdam at the Scheepvaartmuseum, a Maritime Museum just inland of the Eastern Island where the traditional charter craft are based