The construction was organised and worked on, with builder Chris Rees; by the owners, Marcus Rowden and Freya Hart. They, along with their young son, were the only people aboard when she floated. It is planned that the Grayhound will return to the top of Millbrook Lake for fitting out, including putting ballast and eight cannons aboard.
Next spring she starts charter voyages in the English Channel and she should then sail to the West Indies in the winter.
Paul Greenwood, owner of the lugger Erin, found the lines of the original lugger Grayhound that had been built at Cawsand in 1776, but she was 10ft longer than the new lugger and that would have made her about double the tonnage. Three masted fishing boats replaced the smugglers’ three masted luggers and two masters replaced these in about 1830. Because of the lugger’s reputation for speed, Lord Willoughby De Eresby had John Tutt of Hastings build him the 134ft three masted lugger yacht New Moon in 1855. She is recorded as sailing at 13 knots in Torbay races.