On 14 September, Boston Light was three hundred years old.
First lit in 1716, Boston Light on Brewster Island, in Boston Harbor, was built by the British under the Act of 23 July 1715 passed by the Great and General Court of then British Province of the Massachusetts Bay.
To support it, one penny per ton was assessed against ships and vessels transiting in or out of Boston Harbour. Coastal vessels were covered by a duty of two shillings on departure.
British forces destroyed the light as they evacuated Boston during the American War of Independence (or “Revolutionary War” in US parlance).
After the war, Boston Light was rebuilt as the first lighthouse in the new United States of America, but the second oldest working lighthouse in the United States after New Jersey’s Sandy Hook Lighthouse. Boston Light is the only lighthouse to still be actively staffed by the United States Coast Guard although being automated in 1998. A keeper acting as a tour guide is still on the Island.