USS North Carolina (VB-55) was last dry docked in November 1953.
Commissioned on 9 April 1941 and decommissioned in 1947, the 36,000- ton, 728-foot battleship participated in every major naval offensive in the Pacific during World War II.
She was moved to her current berth in Wilmington North Carolina in October 1961 to become a popular museum ship dedicated as the state’s memorial to its World War II veterans. However, recent repairs have shown that her entire hull is now seriously corroded, “paper thin” in areas along her waterline. A tow to a shipyard in Norfolk was considered unfeasible.
So to enable repairs and allow future work, a permanent US$8 million cofferdam will be built by the State of North Carolina with a 1/2-mile-long, US4 million waterline Memorial Walkway around the entire ship will be funded by the USS North Carolina Battleship Commission. A fundraising initiative, “Generations Campaign”, is seeking support from individuals and organisations.