Workers excavating a site for a new hotel in Washington’s Old Town Alexandria waterfront, stumbled upon an 18th century wooden vessel.
The project at 220 South Union Street is part of the city’s major redevelopment of its Potomac River waterfront.
The ship, described as large and heavy, apparently had been scuttled between 1775 and 1798 in the same block where, two months previously, the foundation of a 1775 warehouse, one of the city’s first public buildings, was uncovered.
The ship’s remains are being dismantled, timber by timber, in a methodical attempt to identify her. The pieces, making up a 50 foot section of her hull including parts of her keel, frame and fl oors, are then being preserved for possible future display.