The Port of Liverpool’s latest pilot boat officially joined the port’s fleet after a naming ceremony in the city’s Albert Dock on May 5.
The “Skua”, which follows the tradition of Liverpool’s pilot craft being named after seabirds, was named by Mrs Patricia Hodgson, wife of Peel Ports Mersey managing director Gary Hodgson.
The service of dedication was conducted by the Rev Canon Bob Evans, who for many years was Port Chaplain for the Mersey Mission to Seafarers, and Captain Iolo Thomas, chairman of Liverpool Pilots, read the lesson.
Built by the County Cork-based specialists Safehaven Marine, the “Skua” is an Interceptor 48 type, capable of 24 knots. She joins the other five pilot boats used by the port’s 47 pilots. The “Skua” is the latest in a long line of Liverpool pilot craft going back to the Nelly in 1766, which was based at Anglesey.
More on this and other news in Sea Breezes Magazine - July 2011 Issue
Click here to subscribe