The Ramsgate harbourmaster Rob Brown had to call the Ramsgate RNLI Lifeboat Station for help to prevent the historic tug Cervia from sinking in the inner marina on Nov 27.
Built in 1945 as the Empire Raymond, the tug had been sold to the Medway Maritime Museum in 1971, but she returned to commercial towing two years later before becoming a port tug at Ramsgate.
In 1985, the Cervia became part of the Ramsgate Maritime Museum and was eventually moored in the inner marina.
The tug had developed a hole in her hull about the size of a football and water was pouring in fast. The crew initially managed to control the ingress, but at daybreak, the tug was sitting on the sand as the pumps on the tug could not cope.
It became a joint effort to save the tug with the local fire service and the RNLI pumping the seawater out, and divers inspecting the hull.
During the day and using the more powerful pumps of the fire service, they managed to control the water with sandbags and a steel plate was fitted over the hole. An assessment of the damage was later carried out.