The formal opening of the new Royal National Lifeboat Institution lifeboat station at St Davids, in Pembrokeshire, on Mar 14 also saw the official naming of the station’s Tamar class lifeboat Norah Wortley.
About 200 people attended the double ceremony.
The £10mn station took two years to build among the peninsula’s cliffs and is about 100m from the former station at St Justinian. The new station also houses the D-class inshore lifeboat The $2.5mn lifeboat was funded from the legacy and the charitable trust of Mrs Diana Symon, of Newton Abbot, Devon, who died in 2010, and the lifeboat is named after her mother Norah Wortley-Talbot.
Her grandfather, Henry Bell Wortley, had joined Alfred Holt & Co, of Liverpool, and spent 15 years as the naval architect. In 1908, he was appointed one of two new Managers of the Ocean Steam Ship Co, the other new Manager being Lawrence Durning Holt.
Mr Wortley and Alfred Holt together initiated a number of changes in the structural design of the Blue Funnel Line ships. One of the most significant for which Mr Wortley was responsible came in 1896 when the traditional iron pillar deck supports were replaced with steel girders, opening up the holds by removing the pillar obstructions and enabling more and larger cargo to be carried. This innovation was soon standard on all ocean-going ships. Mr Wortley died in 1919.