Albion House in Liverpool, the former base of White Star Line - arguably the most famous shipping operators in the world - has undergone a £5.5million renovation to become a luxury hotel which pays homage to the fateful ship, Titanic.
Gone are the former offices, which have been replaced by lavish apartments, extravagant dining rooms modelled on the ship’s original halls and 100-ft long balconies overlooking the dockside waterfront.
The grade II listed building, which was built in 1896 by the architect Norman Shaw, has been transformed and has now opened as 30 JAMES STREET - Home of Titanic, after being stood empty for the past 10 years.
Each refurbished room will come complete with a definitive history specific to that room based on the remarkable historical past which alines itself to the significant building.
Originally, it was built for the Ismay, Imrie and Company shipping company, which later became the White Star Line. After White Star merged with Royal Mail Line, the headquarters remained at Albion House until 1934 at which time the British Government forced the merger of Cunard Line and White Star Line.
The building is situated on the corner of The Strand and James Street.